Thursday, June 08, 2006

Conversations with a Toddler

I've gone and done it. I've turned Missy HooHaw into a Starbucks fiend.

Seriously, this kid is frickin' smart. Every so often, I'll take an alternate route to work, one that has a drive thru Satrbucks on it. The minute I diverge from our normal path, she says "More?"

In MH-speak, this means, "I want a bite of whatever it is your eating and you'd better fork it over or face my enormous wrath." She packs a lot into her verbage.

So, this morning, we left the house early and I decided a tall caramel macchiato was in the cards. I pulled into the parking lot and MH says "Why?"
"Because Mommy needs some coffee and you need a scone." I reply
MH starts bouncing in her seat, waving and clapping her hands. She's chanting, "More, more, more, more, yay!" I'm laughing so hard I almost ram the Dodge SUV in front of me.

I feel the need to clarify that I am not putting coffee beverages into MH's sippy cup. Mr. Clairol and I have agreed that the little fireball should be caffeine free for as long as we can manage. We barely keep up with her now. No, it's not the latte she's jonesing for. It's the tiny little (crack filled, I think) vanilla scones.

A few months ago, I ordered some, thinking they would settle the queasy stomach and go well with the tea I was ordering. They filled the bill on both counts, but three was too many, so I gave MH one to nibble on during our ride. Plus, she was screaming, "MORE!!!!" and had morphed into a green-skinned, fire breathing, red-eyed monster. She spent the entire 20 minute ride to day care humming to herself in the backseat, singing, "yum, yum, yum, yum, more?" We had a hit.

Now, I'm pretty careful about what my kids eat and I know that these glazed scones are basically a rich man's donut. But every once in a while, Mama needs a hit and since MH has to travel 45 minutes to daycare, she needs one too. It's a co-dependent thing, dig?

So, I ordered a three pack of the scones and my caramel machiato and laughed my butt off as I waited for them, MH shaking the car with her bouncing, saying "Jumpy! More? Jumpy! More?" I'm sure the guy at the window thought I was nuts, but seriously, that was some funny stuff. I handed back the first bit of scone and she laughed a big, deep belly laugh. The bite quickly disappeared and she asked for, "Moh, peez." This through a big mouthful of scone. Twenty minutes later, we've arrived at daycare and she's worked through one scone, because we had to take a break and say good morning to the cows, don't you know. I'm saving the other two for less leisurely mornings. Or maybe on the way home. Who knows.

3 Comments:

Blogger Farm Girl said...

Kids are all about repetition, aren't they? Mine are currently hooked on mint chocolate chip ice cream. I made the mistake of having them try mine. They both love it, although my daughter more than my son. MH sounds like a little sweetie (well, except for the green-skinned, fire breathing, red-eyed monster, that is).

6:24 AM  
Blogger jennyonthespot said...

We soooooo need to live closer...

11:51 AM  
Blogger jen said...

I know. Every now and then I do an internet search of Washington VW dealers. If I could ever pry Mr. Clairol away from this area, I would move in a heartbeat!

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home