Friday, June 09, 2006

Two more weeks...

I haven't been blogging about teaching, because, while I appreciate the well placed curse word, the entire entry would be a blue rant. Recently though, I've developed some perspective and I think I can give it a try. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. He is my censor.

We have two weeks left. This week, I have been innundated with requests for grade checks. Most of these lead to the question, "Is there any extra credit?" Oddly enough, they don't seem as amused by this as I am. My laughter is always ill-received.

My policy is this. If you have turned in all your work, throughout the trimester, and taken advantage of the numerous opportunities to correct your work, you're getting at least a B in my class. If you haven't, then asking me to create and grade a project that will lift you 20-30 percentage points on the scale is unfair. I explain this at the beginning of each trimester. I send letters home 3 times a year explaining this. And yet...

Last Friday, I sent out updates, so parents could see what their child was earning and why that was the case. Needless to say, on Monday, I had 5 billion messages from parents wondering about extra credit and little Johnny turned this in, I know because I helped him with it...blah, blah, blah.

It should be noted here that teachers DO lose work. I've done it. And I am happy to give benefit of the doubt. But when it's a major project that I had to call home about? I'm thinking I probably didn't lose that one. You never returned my call from a month ago, regarding that project. Why is it that you're calling me on this now?

The long and short of it is that I have to turn in grades by next Wednesday. Huh, you inquire? Why Wednesday if you have a week and a half of school left after that day? I don't know why. I do as I am told. Have I mentioned my principal hates special ed and does not understand the need for having on a mainstream campus? Uh-huh.

I'm sure I'll be spending the next three work days trying to surface from the pile of papers on my desk, grading like a mad woman. Thank God for my stalwart aide. Guess I better enjoy this weekend.

Coming Soon: Drama Queen's Birthday Spa Slumber Party!!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Farm Girl said...

Well, the good news is that you get the summer off, right? That is always a plus but I'm sure that mad dash until the end can really stink. It's funny how parents only seem to be interested in how their kids are doing when it's stinky and they need to bring the grade up. I will NOT be one of those parents. Seems to me you should have a bit of any idea how it's going before the reports come out. Just sayin'.

1:03 PM  
Blogger theshellieshow said...

Yah, i know all about the grades due two weeks before schools out. go-figure...

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home